Saturday, August 19, 2006

Love and knowledge

A woman just passed me whilst I have been here sitting in Chichester. Her daughter asked her if 'girls can marry girls' and the mother answered resolutely 'no'. However technically true this is (they're civil partnerships rather than actual marriage), I think the mother is failing to enlighten her daughter as to the true nature of current society- what's acceptable and what's changing. I'm sure her daughter will discover at some point the truth of the matter, but I couldn't help but stifle an objection.

I'm sitting near a car park in the centre of town enjoying the sunshine and peaceful nature of the city. It's pleasant being here, but you can't help feeling that people are quite contented with the way things are. There's everything here that someone could need, and no reason to complain as it's all of a high quality. Yet, somehow it seems a bit dead, as if there's actually no vital scene here. People undoubtedly come here to run their lives, and eventually die- in pleasant surroundings.

Anyway I've returned to meet my parents in the gallery down the road for a cup of tea. So back to life.

No comments: