Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Night time

I realised something lying here while I was trying in vain to get to sleep. The sound of the trees is intensely comforting. I think it's just the rustling of the leaves outside in the occasional gust of wind. And to be very unpoetic, the cars going past at the end of the road remind me there are plenty of other people in the world going about their business. It's just nice to know they're there.

Went to see a concert tonight of some contemporary music at the concert hall. While the concert itself wasn't greatly inspiring, the discussion afterwards was heated and interesting. Again the topic of innovation and conversely, refinement were talked about. Not that the two are mutually exclusive, just that it's difficult to find the two present in a single work. I guess that tonight they were upset that there was perhaps not enough of either- not enough daring to be different.

A week now and I'll be at home, enjoying the sunshine (fingers crossed) and planning my future. I think that the travelling idea is back on the cards, with very few ideal or feasible jobs knocking at my door. I'll keep looking but I think I'd like to keep the options open with regards to career plans, especially if I plan to do a PhD. I don't want to be working my way up in a job that I plan to leave. But there's nothing wrong with a little professional experience. Right must sleep.

No comments: