Monday, February 13, 2006

Last week and further

I think it's about time I reflected on the past week.

Many things happened, and I had very little sleep. Apart from all occuring in a hazy blur, which was to be expected, I now have a overawing sense of relief and serenity. I have (almost) nothing to do, I have some free time in which to plan things. Perhaps things aren't so bad at all. Since I can now gloat in the glory of having put on a good concert, which was reviewed well (Herald Review) I feel a little better. Maybe what we're doing isn't so bad, and perhaps people are sitting up and taking note.

Most of Monday to Wednesday was taken up organising people to be where they should be, and then Thursday was packed from door to door with tech set up, rehearsal, pizza and concert. I just can't believe we actually pulled it off well and people said they enjoyed it. I think that's the best thing about it, and also how much I got out of playing in the ensemble. It's amazing how different ensemble is to solo playing, that you play with this great group of people and are part of a really big machine that relies on you to work. Not only did solo playing really scare me, but I just found it so unnecessary to perform in front of people that I never really ever achieved perfection with any works. I practised the parts I enjoyed and never got to the bottom of the others.

After the gig it was my first day of lecturing at the University, and all went well. It was far more relaxed than the other places I've been, and I felt comfortable doing it. I think this is really something I can grow to enjoy and one thing I can keep in my life for ever: my expertise in certain (some would say defunct) areas are invaluable. Maybe one day I'll get to the bottom of this music lark.

And then finally my friend from Manchester came to stay. You might say I was tired by the time he arrived on Friday afternoon, as soon as I returned from teaching. I think I was exhausted, but his presence cheered me up and we talked through the night to the tune of many beers. We covered the film he's shooting in the coming months, my suggestions and our approach to the sound and music involved. It was refreshing to see someone with a construc

No comments: