Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Ten minutes to go

Yesterday I saw an excellent concert where I was surprised by a number of works. Three in fact, and three there were in the concert altogether. A certain Scottish composer proved his talent, and also an unnamed ensemble were above standard, showing the sort of performance I reserved for the digital efforts of a first rate recording studio. Sounds surprised me, and the overall force of the concert (given it was amplified) was astounding. So many times a lacklustre performance is put forward with little volume, and assertion and I am left wanting. It makes me realise there are some serious benefits to 'classical' music. The raw dynamic energy of professional players can't be substituted with anything.

Today is the first day of a new month, and it holds many interesting things. A brighter month and a brighter future, the sky may be grey but the outlook is not. I start teaching at University, I have a piece premiered and rehearsals start for another. I may even here back from the New York university, fingers crossed. Perhaps the weather might even turn a little warmer (but let's leave that to the imagination). And I nearly forgot - I'm going to Italy a the end of the month to write a film score. Only joy ahead for me. I'm just wondering which one has really got me excited, or if it's just the final prospect of being busy and occupying my mind. Time only will tell.

More on my impending tasks soon but now I must adjourn to the coffee shop for some relaxation and pleasant company.

No comments: