Sunday, April 16, 2006

Let's stay up all night

Let's go to Glasgow, let's stay up all night, let's drink a suspicious brown liquid in a bottle labelled 'white rum'. Where do I get these decisions from? I'm sure someone must make them for me as I don't remember making some of the above. Well, at least I'm still here as the distinctly ginger flavoured stuff hasn't killed me, even if I feel like I've been up for most of the last couple of days. Notwithstanding my appearance, I had an amazing time last night. I think the highlight was Leasha returning home at gone 5, Helena and I realising that we'd misjudged the time by at least a couple of hours and that Leasha was completely trashed. She proceeded to dance with herself in the kitchen until I walked Helena home. By the time I got back I was a little more sober and realised it was nearly six, so at that point made the right decision and dug out my transcriptions of the Bach Cello Suites for Bass and had a play through - really quite sublime.

I forgot how great it is playing the bass, and I recently discovered there are loads of transcriptions on the internet, so I think I've found a reason to practice properly again. That and trying to get this gig off the ground where I plan to do live bass improvisation with electronics, that should get me a little better. I think people don't realise how much of a versatile instrument it is, since a lot of the bigger bands simply have a bassist 'plonking' away in the background, and the fact that most bands recruit their bassists on a "can you hold an instrument" basis. There have been so many amazing bassists that really do the scene justice, both in the double and electric circles. Take Charles Mingus for example, heralded as a great musician and one of the first to put virtuosic popular bass playing on the map. Of course there's also Jaco Pastorius, who put electric bass playing on the map (at least to bassists), with such a distinct sound.

I digress. The sun is shining today, it's Easter Sunday and I'm leaving for warmer Sussex on Tuesday, much to my delight. Perhaps today is a day for a walk in the park and some light relaxation. It's a nice feeling when you don't have anything planned, and it doesn't really matter. As I was discussing with Lara, it's best not to worry too far into the future, as noone really knows how long they have to live that out. Best to take each day as it comes, and of course make plans for the future but not worry about where you're going to be in ten or twenty years time. If you've done the right things now, you'll certainly be in a place you deserve to be.

But now back to practice and translating Tamara. Baci.

No comments: