Thursday, April 13, 2006

Sun through windows

Long train trip today back from York. Slept very well on the Virgin Voyager, despite previous bad experiences and screaming children around me. It wasn't really that I particularly needed sleep, just that I'm a bit sick of staring out the window contemplating what life has to offer me. I must say that the past few days have been perfect, in almost every way. A short walk along Scarborough beach, followed by lemon twist ice creams (in wafers instead of cones). We sat on wind swept wave breakers and talked about Indian dancing workshops, and laughed at the tackiness of the shops. A true fish and chips, with mushy peas from a very small and provincial shop, later followed by writing postcards and getting sand in our hair.

It almost seemed like it went too quickly, and it seems like our friendship hasn't changed in the time since we last saw each other. Like it's frozen, perhaps because our friendship groups have never mixed, and we've never been anything other than just the two of us. I'd like to think it'll continue like this for years to come, regardless of where we are and what we're doing, just like the best friendships. It's not even that I'm being nostalgic, because there's nothing static about it, and there aren't that many memories to be nostalgic about (albeit few great ones).

While I'm on the subject of York, I would recommend anyone to visit, as it is a beautiful and historic city. I had a brief and truncated tour of York, and discovered its history is even older and more quirky than I first thought. It would be a really great city to live in although I guess (as I previously suspected) that it is a little sleepy, as only small cities can be.

Still haven't come to any decisions about what I'm going to do come September, although the options present themselves more clearly. It's amazing how simply being away somewhere can clarify your thought processes. Anyway I'm going to sort my weekend and find something to eat. Here's to holidays with friends... maybe we can see some better weather soon?

No comments: