Friday, June 23, 2006

Dull dull dull

Work work work. It seems like 5-6 is time for blogging at work since there's no calls and I don't have much better to be doing, apart from answering the occasional calls and filing a few things that come my way. Talking of this I've been put on 10-6 shifts all next week. Thank god I still have my sanity (crazy laughing).

This weekend is going to be fun, I promise. Tonight I'm going to a (some) party somewhere in town that sounds like it's going to be a laugh, at least I'll work off some of the steam from this week. Tomorrow however is the cream of the weekend - we're camping out at Sarti's for a meal in the evening, and I'm planning several courses and bottles of wine. It should be a good laugh, and it'll probably be one of the last times before the summer when most people can make it. People seem to treat food in the UK like it's an inconvenience, and when they go to restaurants it's more like it's an opportunity to show how good your taste is or talk about how much better this other restaurant is. I think it should be a social event, one where you can enjoy whatever you're eating and relax with some friends. I'm going to promote this as much as possible, at least until I realise people aren't with me and I'll have to move abroad.

I think I'm going to move home in August and enjoy the sunshine on the beach, and work a little while filling in the rest of the job applications. It seems like they've been left on the sidelines for the moment, while I desperately try to make some time for writing music. Saying that I'm off home for my mother's (sort of) leaving do on the 15th July, where she's asked me to play some easy classics for people to lounge to, and I've booked a few days either side so I can sit down and work solidly with the minimum of distractions, aside from my father asking me to hold a ladder or help him move a plant pot.

My mother retires at the beginning of July. I know it's a big step for her to move outside of the work environment. She's a veritable workaholic, and has been for many years, so changing to a totally different lifestyle is going to be a bit of a shock. She's decided to take on plenty of part-time/freelance work in education, working with teachers and providing arts-based services, workshops and seminars for schools. I think it's a really good idea as she can take as long as she wants with it, it doesn't matter where she is, and it'll give her immense satisfaction when things come together. Also, she's asked me to be a part of it so I can help her manage the more technical parts of it, including the website and the database of clients.

I think we now have a land line in the flat so I'll finally be able to call my parents for free, and make international calls for cheap cheap prices. I can't wait. I think this weekend will be spent partying, writing music and on the phone.

Last night I went to a concert at the RSAMD, where Psappha were playing a few contemporary works and some new pieces by RSAMD composers. My old teacher from Manchester was playing piano and I haven't seen him in over a year. It was good to see him but I kinda realised I left some good things behind in Manchester. He was a great teacher, and I haven't really had a teacher since and subsequently my playing just hasn't progressed at all. The concert was really top notch, the playing was superb and the pieces were very satisfying, but I came to realise that I didn't think I could write that music anymore. Although I connect with it, I would rather be writing something with more immediate aural impact. It's hard to describe, and I won't be really sure what I mean until I do it. Let's wait till the next concert and see if I can get out of some old habits.

No comments: