Monday, June 05, 2006

Too hot with a cherry on top

It's been a while since I sat on this doorstep at night, and just listened to the sounds of the countryside and watched the stars move, and the moon change position. I kind of forgot how peaceful it can be out here. I was too hot a little earlier when I went to visit my brother, and realised I'd been wearing my jumper in this amazing heat! This evening was good- my brother and I got to talk properly for the first time in ages. It's good to sit down and chat things over, especially with someone as clear headed as my brother. He always seems to know just how to put something right in order to make it sound like it's the perfect thing to do. He has the best ideas!

Tomorrow is my last day here, and I'm dreading leaving. It's been really idyllic, the weather's been perfect, I've got literally _so_ much work done, and although I've been occasionally irritated by the parents, they haven't been too much of a bane. Perhaps I'll come back before long if I don't get any interviews or more permanent work in Glasgow. I think it's good to be here as long as I know I've got something to go back to, and at the moment I've got the flat and the prospect of some work if I look hard.

Here's the crack. I've made a preliminary decision- not a firm one but I think I might stick with it: to not go to the Hague. Bear with me- stay in Glasgow if I'm offered a job, or wherever else if there's a job in the UK. Then, apply for PhDs in all and every institution within reason, for 2007 (gulp), and then if I'm successful, save up and go travelling for March next year. Please, comments and suggestions here or via my usual email address.

No comments: